Informal Meeting of Ministers Responsible for Competitiveness
The Informal Meeting of Ministers Responsible for Competitiveness is set to discuss sustainable growth. Digitalisation, rapid technological advances, international competition and climate change are challenging the EU to work out new ways of creating sustainable growth, increasing competitiveness and promoting wellbeing.
On Thursday 4 July, EU ministers responsible for research will convene in Helsinki to discuss EU research and innovation policy and Horizon Europe, the EU’s next research and innovation framework programme.
The Friday meeting 5 July brings together EU ministers responsible for the single market, industry and competitiveness to discuss the future of the single market, industry and the low-carbon economy.
4 July 2019: Informal Meeting of Ministers responsible for Competitiveness (Research)
08:30 Doorstep, handshake
09:30 Opening words
09:45 Research and innovation as drivers for sustainable growth
- Keynote by Sylvia Schwaag Serger, Professor and Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Lund University
- Keynote by Kjell Forsén, CEO, Vaisala Oyj
12:15 Family Photo
12:30 Ministerial Working Lunch: Translating European excellence in knowledge and innovation into entrepreneurial success
- Keynote by Pekka Laurila, CSO and co-founder, ICEYE
14:15 Missions as a strategic tool in Horizon Europe
- Keynote by Mariana Mazzucato, Professor in Economics of Innovation and Public Value, University College London, presenting the report ‘Governing missions’
15:00 Working session in break-out groups
16:00 Closing of the meeting
5 July 2019: Informal Meeting of the Ministers responsible for Competitiveness (Internal Market and Industry)
08:00 Doorstep, handshake
09:00 Opening words
09:30 Sustainable growth – Integration of Single Market, Dynamic Digital Economy and Modern Industrial Policy
- Keynote by Henrik Ehrnrooth, President & CEO, KONE Corporation
- Keynote by Per Allmer, Chief Commercial Officer, Bombardier Tranportation
- Keynote by Suvi Haimi, CEO and co-founder, Sulapac Ltd
Q&A session with keynote speakers
10:45 Coffee break
11:00 Discussions in break-out groups
- Group 1: Future of European industries: What is needed for the modern European manufacturing industry to prosper in global context?
- Group 2: Single market as a services market: What kind of single market policy is vital for services?
- Group 3: Boosting digital business in Europe: What kind of policy measures are needed?
- Group 4: External dimension of EU competitiveness: What is needed to ensure a level-playing-field?
12:00 Family Photo
12:15 Ministerial Working Lunch
13:45 Sustainable growth – Smart solutions for a competitive and climate-neutral Europe
- Keynote by Michael Sen, Member of the Managing Board, Siemens AG
- Keynote by Pekka Lundmark, President and CEO, Fortum
16:00 Closing of the meeting
4.7.2019 – 5.7.2019
Mannerheimintie 13, Helsinki, Suomi
Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment