Informal Meeting of Ministers Responsible for Competitiveness
The Informal Meeting of Ministers Responsible for Competitiveness is set to discuss sustainable growth. Digitalisation, rapid technological advances, international competition and climate change are challenging the EU to work out new ways of creating sustainable growth, increasing competitiveness and promoting wellbeing.
On Thursday 4 July, EU ministers responsible for research will convene in Helsinki to discuss EU research and innovation policy and Horizon Europe, the EU’s next research and innovation framework programme.
The Friday meeting on 5 July brings together EU ministers responsible for the single market, industry and competitiveness to discuss the future of the single market, industry and the low-carbon economy.
Thursday 4 July: Informal Meeting of Ministers Responsible for Competitiveness (Research)
8.30 Doorstep, handshake
9.30 Opening of the meeting (live streaming)
Working session 1: Research and innovation as drivers for sustainable growth
- Opening words by Katri Kulmuni, Minister of Economic Affairs
- Opening words by Carlos Moedas, Commissioner for Research, Science and Innovation
9.45 Research and innovation as drivers for sustainable growth
- Keynote by Sylvia Schwaag Serger, Professor and Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Lund University
- Keynote by Kjell Forsén, CEO, Vaisala Oyj
12.15 Family photo
12.30 Ministerial working lunch: translating European excellence in knowledge and innovation into entrepreneurial success
- Keynote by Pekka Laurila, CSO and co-founder, ICEYE
14.15 Missions as a strategic tool in Horizon Europe (live streaming)
Working session 2: Multiannual Financial Framework – Horizon Europe and missions as a strategic tool
- Keynote by Mariana Mazzucato, Professor in Economics of Innovation and Public Value, Institute for Innovation and Public Purpose (IIPP), University College London, presenting the report ‘Governing Missions’
15.00 Working session in break-out groups
16.00 Closing of the meeting
Press conference, part 1: Presidency, Commission (live streaming)
Press conference, part 2: Presidency, Commission, Prof. Mazzucato (live streaming)
Friday 5 July: Informal Meeting of Ministers Responsible for Competitiveness (Internal Market and Industry)
8.00 Doorstep, handshake
9.00 Opening of the meeting (live streaming)
- Opening words by the Chair Timo Harakka, Minister of Employment
9.15 Working session 1: Sustainable growth: integration of the single market, dynamic digital economy and modern industrial policy
- Introduction by Elżbieta Bieńkowska, Commissioner for Internal Market, Industry, Entrepreneurship and SMEs (live streaming)
- Keynote by Henrik Ehrnrooth, President & CEO, KONE Corporation
- Keynote by Per Allmer, Chief Commercial Officer, Bombardier Transportation
- Keynote by Suvi Haimi, CEO and co-founder, Sulapac Ltd
Q&A session with keynote speakers
10.45 Discussions in break-out groups
- Group 1: Future of European industries: What is needed for the modern European manufacturing industry to prosper in global context?
- Group 2: Single market as a services market: What kind of single market policy is vital for services?
- Group 3: Boosting digital business in Europe: What kinds of policy measures are needed?
- Group 4: External dimension of EU competitiveness: What is needed to ensure a level playing field?
11.45 Family photo
12.00 Ministerial working lunch
13.30 Working session 2: Sustainable growth: smart solutions for a competitive and climate-neutral Europe
- Opening words by the Chair Katri Kulmuni, Minister of Economic Affairs (live streaming)
- Opening words by Elżbieta Bieńkowska, Commissioner for Internal Market, Industry, Entrepreneurship and SMEs (live streaming)
- Keynote by Michael Sen, Member of the Managing Board, Siemens AG
- Keynote by Pekka Lundmark, President and CEO, Fortum
16.00 Closing of the meeting
Press conference (live streaming)
4.7.2019 – 5.7.2019
Mannerheimintie 13, Helsinki, Finland
Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment